QUESTION: How do use Amateur Radio operators in your RACES unit?
Past responses for the Amateurs include:
- Greater alarm fires (Command support functions)
- Police SWAT responses (Command support functions)
- Search and Rescue operations (Multi agency-communications coordination, command support)
- Loma Prieta Earthquake; Oakland (Provided communications for Red Cross)
- Oakland Firestorm (One team operated a staging area in Orinda where resources from all over Northern California gathered pending assignment to the firestorm and two other significant area fires. A second team provided command support for the tactical branch operating on the ridge above the firestorm.)
Amateurs are used in many roles which permit uniformed fire personnel to remain available for more dangerous duties.
All amateurs are welcome to participate in this forum. For more information contact Willis, N6VZT @ AA6QR.#NOCAL.CA.USA.NA .