- An online calendar that is open to the public that provides info on all unit activities. Details such as date/time/location (with directions), event-specific news and information; also a direct link to e-mail the contact person for each event.
- For large events participants can sign up from the Web page using an on-line registration function. David Boehm, N6DSB, the author of these features, provided a color code to each type event to locate interesting items. He set it to default to the current month, but by use of a drop-down list other months and a choice of event types can be selected.
- A password-protected area provides each member's personnel information so each one can keep his/her information up to date. The data is then used to print the unit roster.
- Another password-protected area is the TIMECARD area, where each member can enter the number of hours provided in support of an event, including pre-event planning, etc. Also provides a total of a person's events and hours.
- Another password-protected area (coming soon) is County Asset Tracking. Here those who have been issued County property, such as COR Box repeaters or slow-scan TV equipment, can register them. A future goal is to list assets currently unassigned and available for use by any unit participant.
- A VIEWMASTER record (password-protected) provides a printer- friendly combination of each member's info, timecard, and county assets on one page. At the end of the year it is intended to be used to complete their official timecard.
The information was in the March 2001 Issue of "Net Control," the monthly newsletter of County of Orange RACES (CA). Their Web page is www.ocraces.org.
There are many interesting and helpful Web pages by units across the country. Has yours developed Internet technology in a way that can be an example for others? If so, please share it for the benefit of anyone that can use the same or a similar process--it's called "idea sharing".
As you know, some ideas are easier to grasp than others. The ones that David put into effect should be easy to comprehend and implement, as they describe specific physical or material uses and conditions. In contrast, when it comes to sharing ideas of mental images or the power of what we think (such as the recent bulletins), that can be difficult. But, the process of offering the idea for others to consider or disregard is important.
Like these bulletins, they are intended to be idea sharing. You can use them, ignore them, trash them, or collect them according to your own determination. If you use the material please refer to their source.
And, THANKS to all those who have written, telling of their use of the bulletins, and the sharing of their ideas.